Backwashing McKinney pool sand filters are essential to keeping your pool clean and safe to use. The following 6 steps are instructions on how to perform the task. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, consider using our McKinney Weekly Pool Maintenance program.
- Shut off the pump
- Ensure that the backwash hose is attached to your pool filter and roll it out to an area that won’t flood. Some sand filters don’t have a backwash hose to roll out because they are hard PVC piped to an underground drain.
- Turn the multiport valve clockwise to “Backwash” or a 2 Position Valve to the down position
- Turn on pool pump. Watch the water coming through the backwash hose (or in the site glass on hard PVC) until the dirty water turns clear (or approximately 1 to 2 minutes).
- Shut off the pool pump and move multi port valve clockwise to the “Rinse” cycle. Turn on pump for approximately 10 to 15 seconds.
- Turn off pool pump. Turn the multiport valve clockwise to “Filter”. Turn pump on. Add additional water to maintain the proper level.